ECF is called to be the heart, hands, and voice of Jesus Christ in Costa Rica’s English-speaking community.
There are many ways to express the character of a community, and this is ours.
A World of Travelers, Safely Home is the vision we believe God has called ECF to help fulfill.
As a congregation comprised mainly of those who are far from our countries of origin, we are attuned to the traveling spirit of life in both a post-modern world, and in our journeys of faith.
Who we are and what we do is shaped and driven by values like these:
Grace – we live aware of and dependent upon God’s grace which leads us to revere God, surrender to His Lordship and create a warm, accepting atmosphere of forgiveness and encouragement as kingdom ministers
Fluidity – we are Spirit-led, learners and teachable, and therefore open to change as He directs through the revelation of Scripture, prayer and confirmation.
Integrity – we promote Biblically-directed, Spirit-assisted wholeness that affects relationships, business dealings and personal pursuits.
Generosity – we leverage God-given resources and spiritual gifts so that others are blessed.
Creativity – we appreciate the arts and incorporate them into who we are and what we do.
Diversity – we embrace and appreciate the influence of a multicultural, multigenerational church. We also are diverse theologically, joined around the core of Christianity but free at the edges to hold and explore various interpretations.
Interdependence – we expect that people will be involved with mentoring and peer relationships that will allow them both to serve and be fed, and result in maturity. We especially see in families marvelous potential for fostering spiritual growth, and so promote healthy marriages and parenting.
Witness – we actively consider both the spiritual and physical needs of people around us, and seek ways of meeting those so that Jesus radiates from us.
Initiative – we move boldly as God directs in establishing relationships, providing needed ministry, serving the poor, planting churches, encouraging missions, acting as a catalyst among international churches, and preparing people for significant impact locally and abroad.
Peace – we resist the urge to pack our schedules full, and seek instead lives that have room for family, friends and recreation. We take our cues from the Lord who does everything ‘in its time.’
ECF’s Covenant of Membership
The covenant which members of this congregation make one with another is as follows:
Thankful for God's abundant goodness, and for His great gift of salvation through Jesus Christ, our Lord, we hereby covenant to seek to know and to do His will, and to promote, as far as we can, the interest of Christ's Kingdom.
We agree to the following basis of fellowship:
1. We believe the Bible to be the inspired, authoritative Word of God, the only infallible rule of faith and practice for the Christian.
2. We believe in the one, true, eternal God, revealed in Scripture as three distinct persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
3. We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in his virgin birth, in his sinless life, in his miracles, in his vicarious and atoning death through his shed blood, in his bodily resurrection, in his ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in his personal return in power and glory.
4. We believe that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God, and for our salvation from our lost and sinful condition it is absolutely essential that we be regenerated by the Holy Spirit and confess Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior.
5. We believe in the continuing ministry of the Holy Spirit, who indwells all Christian believers and enables them to grow toward a more Godly life.
6. We believe that the Holy Spirit unites all believers in our Lord Jesus Christ, regardless of denominational affiliation, thus forming the Church universal. The Spirit also gathers the believers together in a local congregation to form a visible manifestation of the body of Christ for the purposes of: a. the worship of God; b. the loving care and ministry of mutual concern for each other; c. instruction; d. the administration of baptism and the Lord's Supper; e. fellowship; f. mission; and g. service to our neighbors and the world.
7. We believe in the resurrection of the living and the dead, judgment of the entire human race, and eternal life for those who are saved by God's grace.
8. We believe that the kingdom, the power and the glory belong to our Lord Jesus Christ, and that we are created to serve Him as stewards of his creation and to praise his Holy name in this time and for all eternity.
Realizing the success of the Church depends upon the consecration of its individual members, we covenant to attend services, to contribute to its support, to labor to maintain its peace and harmony, and as far as possible, in every way to promote its temporal and spiritual welfare.
If you are interested in membership at ECF, please contact Don Ridder at 8395-9653.